FAQs - Registration


If what you seek is not here please contact us with your request.  We will get back to you within 24 hours.


Why must I register?

Registration is a legal requirement which enables the NIBTT to:

  • Establish and maintain an accurate database
  • Distinguish one entity or insured person from another
  • Maintain accurate and complete contribution records on each insured person
  • Determine applications for benefits speedily

What if my employer refuses to register me?

Every employer is required to apply for registration of employees within fourteen days of employment, failing which he is liable on summary conviction to a fine of five thousand ($5,000.00) dollars.

What if I don’t provide the details to my employer, so that he can have me registered?

Every employed person and unpaid apprentice must furnish his employer with correct personal particulars necessary for the completion of any application for registration within seven days of employment. Failing this, the employed person is liable to a fine of five hundred dollars. However deductions must be made by the employer and paid to the Board.

If my employer fails to register me when I furnish him with the personal particulars what should I do?

Report the matter to the Board immediately.  We will investigate and ensure that your registration is effected.  You should also apply to be registered on the prescribed form within 28 days of being employed. Failure to do so would result in the employee being liable on summary conviction to a fine of five hundred dollars.

When must my National Insurance number be used?

Every-time you do business with the Board. These instances will include when your employer pays your contributions; for claiming a benefit and any correspondence concerning National Insurance.

How will I remember such a long National Insurance number?

Upon registration the Board issues a laminated National Insurance registration card on which your name and National Insurance number are recorded. Replacement cards are issued at a cost.

Who is an unpaid apprentice?

An unpaid apprentice is a person who enters into a contract of apprenticeship or training for which remuneration is less than  $200.00 per week.

Who must be registered?

Every employer and employed person who earns in excess of $200.00 per week and every apprentice (paid or unpaid) shall be registered for the purposes of the system of National Insurance, including a woman employed by her husband. The contract of employment maybe written, oral, expressed or implied.

Who may not register?

  • An employed person who earns less than $200.00 per week
  • A person who is not a citizen of Trinidad and Tobago and who is exempt from from Social Security Legislation by virtue of the International Conventions governing Diplomatic and Consular relations
  • A person who is granted exemption under the terms of a reciprocal social security agreement (Canada and Trinidad and Tobago or another Caricom nation)
  • A person employed by an International Organization of which Trinidad and Tobago is a member and who is covered by a social security system operated by the Organization.

If my registration information changes, how soon should I contact the Board?

Immediately. An Insured person who has changed surname (by  way of marriage or deed poll) or address needs to visit any one of the Board’s local offices and complete the required NI 182 form.;

What are Contributions?

A contribution is a weekly payment fixed in relation to the wages/salaries of the insured person.

Who pays Contributions?

Payment of contributions is shared partly between the employer and the employee in a 2:1 ratio. The employer is statutorily obligated to deduct the employee's contribution no later than on the date of payment of salaries/wages.

 What are Earnings?

For National Insurance purposes, earnings include more than the basic wage or salary. Earnings also include: acting allowances,overtime payments, stipends, housing allowance, cost of living allowance, commission on sales, production or efficiency bonuses,danger or dirt money, payments for standby duty, and allowances for dependents. Therefore, these should all be included in determiningthe earnings class of the employee for the particular pay period.